Monday, August 8, 2011

This is New York

Last week students were given the assignment to write about New York City from the eyes of another. The Story of a Bronze Woman was written by Galina Yakovleva.

I'm considered to be the symbol of the USA and New York City, for sure. Can't you guess who I am? Yes indeed, I'm the host of Liberty Island in New York Harbor and I'm the tallest (46 m) and the heaviest (225 tons) bronze woman in the world. I'm the Statue of Liberty, but my full name is Liberty Enlightening the World. New Yorkers call me simply Miss Liberty. The famous architect, Bartholdi, made me. I've got a torch in one hand and a tablet with the date of the issuance of the Declaration of Independence in the other hand. I was given as a gift by the French. My life is inseparably linked with New York. I have been living here for about 125 years, so I can tell a lot about New York City. It's my home city. We had a hard time: wars and crises, government reshuffles, but we've survived and become stronger and hardier, and we are ready for better days. They are yet to come. My city is growing larger and larger and getting greater importance. I think it's the cultural, political and financial center of the country and it deserves this. Nobody can belittle its leading role as a commercial and industrial city. I can't imagine my life without this city. We are birds of a feather and we are worthy of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment